What is a Greeter ?
“Greeters made in Pas-de-Calais” is an initiative of the Pas-de-Calais Tourist Board, based on a concept from New York ”the Big Apple Greeters”, who offer tourists the opportunity to meet with a local inhabitant who shows him around and speaks to him about “his” neighbourhood, “his” town, about which he is enthusiastic and proud. He does not in any way replace professional tourist guides and, for that reason, does not receive any income or tips.
For the visitor, the meeting with this “friend” is an enriching experience.
Whether with family, friends or individuals, the Greeter made in Pas-de-Calais welcomes you and guides you during your stay in Pas-de-Calais.
The ‘Greeters made in Pas-de-Calais’ service is completely free of charge.
All Greeters organizations and Greeters themselves share the same core values :
- Greeters are volunteers, a friendly face for those visiting a city or a destination.
- Greeters welcome individuals and may serve small groupes of up to six people.
- Meeting a Greeter is free of charge.
- All visitors and volunteers are welcome without any kind of discrimination.
- Greeters support sustainable tourism. They respect natural and man-made environments, bringing both cultural and economic enrichment to local communities. Greeters aim for a lasting positive image of each destination.
- Greeter organizations create a mutually enriching opportunity for cultural exchange; create links between people in creating a better world.